Aging should be celebrated. However, sometimes we can get caught up in its potential downfalls. As we age, our diets may look different than even just a few years prior, we may have a lower appetite, and other eating-related issues may arise. Because of this, older adults tend to be susceptible to nutrient deficiencies. As a highly rated provider of senior home care in Nashville, Tennessee, we prioritize the nutrition of our aging seniors to help them age with dignity into adulthood.
Our professional caregivers are trained to identify and treat signs of nutrient deficiencies when providing senior care in Tennessee. Here’s some initial tips from our staff to identify signs of nutrition deficiencies:
- Fatigue. This symptom can be attributed to iron deficiency anemia. However, it can also be a sign of other diseases such as heart disease, depression, and thyroid disease.
- Brittle and dry hair. This symptom can be a sign of a lack of fatty acids, protein, iron, and other nutrients in the senior’s health.
- Poor fingernail health. Nails that curve up from the nail bed, or spoon-shaped nails, are a condition called koilonychia, which can indicate iron-deficiency anemia.
- Diarrhea. When nutrients are not fully absorbed in the body, this can cause digestive disorders such as diarrhea, celiac, and Crohn’s disease.
- Mouth irregularities. Cracking or inflammation at the corners of the mouth often indicate a deficiency in vitamin B2 or iron.
The more you know, the better you can help identify gaps in nutrition in you or your loved one. If you think yourself or someone you love may be at risk of a poor diet that’s not providing adequate nutrients, consider consulting your primary healthcare provider. They will recommend the best care, and will recommend the best approach to address the issue, including possibly recommending vitamins or mineral supplements to help the nutrient deficiency. A good rule of thumb is to keep a healthy, balanced diet that fits your personal needs to ensure you’re getting the fuel your body craves to live a full life. If you or a loved one needs assistance planning meals, you might be interested in our meal planning and preparation in Belle Meade, TN.
We at Christ Home Care put your health, safety, comfort, and satisfaction at the top of our list. Whether you need a housekeeper or an in-home caregiver in Tennessee, we have a range of services fit for your needs. For more information about our services, give us a call at (615) 757-7757 or visit our website to learn more about Christ Home Care.